Interesting People mailing list archives

more on DHS puts even more eggs in one basket...

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 08:05:10 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lance Hoffman <lanceh () gwu edu>
Date: January 3, 2007 7:42:05 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] DHS puts even more eggs in one basket...

As someone who serves on an advisory committee to DHS and whose password would be monitored -- IF you accept the GCN article at face value -- I was more than a little interested in this, especially since I don't recall hearing anything about it before. So I went to the DHS website and searched on the system named in the GCN article and immediately up popped a Privacy Impact Assessment that doesn't say anything about me having to give up a password. The word "password" appears exactly four times in the Acrobat document and seems to describe very standard password controls. The GCN article's headline is misleading. (Actually the GCN article is misleading.) The GCN headline is " DHS tracking system will keep eye on IT workers", and that is the thrust of the article. However, if you read the PIA, a system is described whose purpose is to allow emergency responders and others to use information from each other, rather than one whose purpose is to maintain security over system access. From the abstract of its PIA at http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/privacy/ privacy_pia_st_dhelp.pdf,

The DisasterHelp.Gov (DHelp) website or web portal is operated by the Science and Technology Directorate of the Department of Homeland Security.1 It is intended to assist political and civil service leadership, emergency managers, homeland security advisors, and first responders in the execution of their disaster management responsibilities. The information on this website will be used to enhance disaster management on an interagency and intergovernmental basis by helping users find information and services. The types of personally identifiable information used will include contact information for these individuals. The collection of this personally identifiable information is the reason for this privacy impact assessment.

 Lance J. Hoffman
 Distinguished Research Professor     Computer Science Department
 The George Washington University     Washington DC 20052
 Phone 202 994-4955     Fax 202 994-4875
 My home page is www.cs.gwu.edu/people/faculty-detail.php?personID=102
GW is a Center of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance Education
 Scholarship Info for US citizens: www.seas.gwu.edu/scholarship