Interesting People mailing list archives

Esther Dyson: Release 0.9: Net neutrality (yet another take)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2007 17:24:50 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: February 4, 2007 1:09:32 PM EST
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] Esther Dyson: Release 0.9: Net neutrality (yet another take)

Release 0.9: Net neutrality (yet another take)
[for tech nuts only]

<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/esther-dyson/release-09-net- neutrali_b_40384.html>

I've been thinking a lot about net neutrality, including Dave Farber's wise comments in the other Post.

But I'm finding it difficult to follow the conversation, which is boring, confusing and filled with mis-targeted invective. It's complicated: There's no easy fix, legislative or otherwise. Any legislation may solve one problem - stopping a particular bad practice, for example - but it could also stop other good practices or stall competition in the development of new services.

The big fight is in essence two interest blocks arguing over who owns the consumer: Is it the big content-providers and carriers, who can make money by offering content in exchange for audience?... and, oh, to get those audiences, they'd like to get exclusive access, please. Their pitch to consumers is that without us, you'd have to pay more for your Net access.

Or is it the other side, the paternalists and free-loaders who want to keep the Net the way it (supposedly) always was, open and "free" (for themselves as well as for consumers)? They want to make it illegal for certain (big bad) companies to offer too much in the way of network-based enhancements and charge for them. They are generally suspicious of business and even of consumers making their own choices. It's unfair, they say, for a movie-streaming service to be able to pay more to offer faster access to consumers - whether they reap profits from ads or charge the consumers directly.

Perhaps the consumers should be able to decide for themselves, but amidst all the rhetoric they have a hard time figuring out what to ask for....

There are real issues here, but legislation isn't gong to solve them. Antitrust enforcement is probably the best solution.

Bandwidth is cheap and fungible...until the last mile

One issue is that there's a definite scarcity of local bandwidth: There are only a couple of service providers that go to any particular person's house, and you don't want AT&T saying "the only content you can have is content we offer [for which we are paid big bucks because it carries advertising]. We're such nice guys, we're giving it to you for free." That squeezes out other content providers, and is a bad thing. (And by the way, AT&T agreed to "net neutrality" provisions only for its basic service; it specifically excluded "internet TV" in the promises it made to the FCC.)

If the incumbent carriers really had their way, we'd have a situation like what we have on cell phones, where providers pay tribute to the carriers in order to appear on the main screen; if you're not there, it's almost impossible to find an audience, though as Internet access becomes better, things are changing. Gary Bolles http:// conferenzablog.typepad.com/conferenza/2007/02/the_mobile_clas.html describes how many start-ups are showing up with cool mobile apps that are both carrier- and device-independent. (Yeah, but how many of them will still be in business next year?)

[snip]

Archives: http://archives.listbox.com/247/