Interesting People mailing list archives

Boston and the public attitude to security.

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 20:04:02 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: John Pettitt <jpp () cloudview com>
Date: February 2, 2007 7:27:19 PM EST
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Boston and the public attitude to security.

For IP

The Boston incident is an interesting case study in US politics. I grew up in the UK and spent a lot of time in London when the Irish were doing their thing. I've personally witnessed a three "suspicious package" incidents in London and Paris. What's interesting is that the security services treated the incidents (all unattended bags) as real, invoking the full bomb squad response but when they turned out to be false alarms everybody was simply happy and went on their way without recriminations. The reaction to the Turner/Boston incident is notable as much for the search for somebody to blame as it is for the actual incident.

The situation in Boston s far from unique. 500 yards from my house, when the threat level is raised, the California Highway Patrol inspects trucks heading for the Golden Gate bridge. Quite what makes them think a terrorist driving a truck full of explosives is actually going to pull over and be inspected is unclear. However they can claim to be doing something and that makes people feel better.

I think part of what is happening can be explained by the fact that the US still hasn't really experienced terrorism the way Europe has. 9/11 was clearly a massive event but the slow drumbeat of events every month to the point where there are no trash cans in a city center and an unattended backpack causes a two block evacuation just hasn't happened. People want to believe there is security (hence the security theater at airports and the Golden Gate bridge) but don't actually understand the risks. I think there is a marked disconnect between the security community, who have studied the lessons of Europe and the Middle East, the politicians who want to be seen to be doing something and the general public who want a Hollywood / TV response that stops the big event. The fact that the events that have happened (9/11, the first trade center bombing and Oklahoma city) have been big has just compounded the problem.

In the end while the conspiracy between the public wanting instant fixes and politicians pretending they can deliver them persists we're going to see more of this sort of thing.

John

Archives: http://archives.listbox.com/247/