Interesting People mailing list archives

RE: a question on what I buy when I get a broadband connection.]

From: "David Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 22:19:32 -0500 (EST)

Subject: RE: [IP] a question on what I buy when I get a broadband connection.
From:    "Paul Baran" <paul () baran com>
Date:    Tue, February 27, 2007 6:45 pm
To:      dave () farber net

Dave:
You can't simply buy a 6 MHz channel.

A 6 MHz analog channel is good for about 30 to 40 Mbps.  As a cable modem
user you might be allowed a few megabits per second in the downward
direction, and less in the upstream direction. It depends on the load
demanded by the other users of the system.

If you are offered say, "up to 6 Megabits per second" think of it as being
equivalent to the type lifetime guarantee that reads, "Warranted for
lifetime or two days, which ever comes first."

The economics are based on the statistics of many paying users where only a
small subset will be expected to demand their data at any time. Best effort
only; no QoS.
Paul