Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: The MP3 patent debacle

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 02:53:25 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Frankston <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: February 24, 2007 9:39:02 PM EST
To: "'David Wagner'" <daw () cs berkeley edu>
Cc: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: RE: [IP] The MP3 patent debacle

You won't hear the problem as long as you stay within spec and don't
repurpose (or remix) the music. As to compression -- you should have the
option of getting the extreme compression if you want. But if it's going to
cost billions of dollars for the license think about putting that money
into advancing generic capacity instead of just giving Alcatel a lottery
ticket. Perhaps I'm also annoyed because that money helps preserve the
illusion that the legacy telecom notion of transporting bits at a profit is
a real business rather than a way to assure scarcity.