Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Dodd Beats Back Bush Spying Bill

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 16:44:55 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brock N Meeks <bmeeks () cox net>
Date: December 18, 2007 1:25:05 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Dodd Beats Back Bush Spying Bill

Dodd's efforts on behalf of beating back this bill are undeniably welcome. Dodd, standing in the gap on the floor of Senate, comes about from a "perfect storm" of events (I love when this happens): A democratic presidential candidate whose polling numbers barely register a blip on the political radar screen; an antsy Congress wanting to jettison Washington as soon as possible so as to not cut into their holiday campaigning... er, vacation; a great "rally the troops" hook in "Beat Back Telecom Immunity."

You could almost smell the Net light up yesterday as Dodd's filibuster tactics were gaining traction.

And so, as the headlines read: Dodd Beats Back Bush Spying Bill... but to what end? In another era, a similar headline, datelined San Antonio, Texas territory, might have read: "Davy Crockett Beats Back Santa Ana at Alamo," which he did for a couple of weeks and the rest, well, is history...

So, Dodd has he merely forestalled a high visibility feature of the bill. We start all over in January, fat, happy and full of good cheer... I'm just saying.

So here's the rub: when the bill comes back to the floor, can we count on Dodd to once again go into the breech? I think not. There will be no gain from such political theater (and let's be honest, it was great political theater); there will be national stage next time for the country (read: media) will be in the throes of a blistering horse race, er, presidential campaign season. Iowa and NH primaries will have come and gone and Dodd's political run at the White House will be toast.

Let's see a show of hands from those that think Dodd will be just as energized for the debate in January after seeing his presidential aspirations swirl down the drain. Yeah, I didn't think so.

And, OK, maybe that's being to cynical <cough>; let's say Dodd again takes the podium and swings a big stick at that fat, irresistible, low- hanging legislative pinata called "telecom immunity," the secret here is that telecom immunity ISN'T the big issue. Telecom immunity is a one-trick pony for this FISA revamp.

With immunity over and done (either way), hiding in the tall grass is the White House backed provision that would eliminate the current requirement that says the FISA court must approve of the wiretap program BEFORE the tap takes place; instead, the White House wants the ability to start its wiretap program (whatever that program may be) and then at some later date present the program to the FISA for review. The court, in the WH backed bill, would not have the ability to flat out order a program be stopped, instead they would only have the ability to say "we don't approve, so either revise your plan or stop." And of course, every 30 days the wiretap program can be changed in some manner and then resubmitted and the process begins again. It's a shell game the WH can keep playing forever. In addition, the wiretapping never has to stop while court is reviewing the program.

It's THAT kind of end around that is critical in the debate of this bill, it is THAT kind of language that will have far reaching, long lasting affect on citizens, long after the issue of immunity has been relegated to an historical footnote.

Brock N. Meeks
Director of Communications
Center for Democracy & Technology