Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Google Hijacked -- Major ISP to Intercept and Modify Web Pages

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2007 05:38:59 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Patrick Sinz <ps () ethiqa com>
Date: December 9, 2007 5:32:18 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Google Hijacked -- Major ISP to Intercept and Modify Web Pages

What makes this move very "interesting" and "suspicious", is that exactly the same effect (notifying the user to "protect" him or her from involontary over use) would have been achieved by a "dumb" silent proxy that would send a "spash screen" at the next HTTP connection, independently
from any specific site.
A little bit like a "wifi splashscreen".
This would actually be more efficient for the alleged use.
1) It could work with "non google users" (misguided souls using other search engines :-)) 2) It would be "harder to overlook", personally I think I would have ignored the "ads" as I tend
to ignore all the other one.

So it seems either incompetent (as in spending lots of money in useless technology made by patent
junkies), that would be the charitable evaluation.
Or it is a "policy setup"
Step one: "but think of the kid" : we are snooping on you but it is to protect inocent users and in particular the parents of thoose irresponsible downloading teenagers against
    overspending.
 Step two: we add this teeny weeny little ad: as a community service
Step three: I highjacked the Internet but if you mind you should have protested earlier Step four: Oups a bigger competitor immitated us, and now is pushing us out of the market
huho...

Additionally what is sadly amusing, is that this kind of issue will arise mainly with "massive downloaders" (if you are a professional user of large quantity of multimedia content you most
probably took you precautions)
And their use is more like:

Launch a download client, launch a chat client, tchat/tchat/tchat, look at the video.

Wich means that highjacking the tchat client would make more sense (although be just as evil). In addition if the Telcos would be able to somehow wake up and stop mixing evilness with stupidity they would try to figure out how to push their user to a platform and network neutral chat/video chat system, instead of letting a small couple of players (msn/aim/qq) in practice confiscate the
phone and videophone market.

         Regards
           [ps]