Interesting People mailing list archives

RIAA: You can't copy your purchased CDs to your own computer

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 05:27:22 -0800

From: Dan Gillmor [dan () gillmor com]
Sent: Monday, December 31, 2007 1:47 AM
To: David Farber
Subject: Re: RIAA

Dave,

 From the RIAA's website at some point in the past, though it's been
removed:

"If you choose to take your own CDs and make copies for yourself on
your computer or portable music player, that's great. It's your music
and we want you to enjoy it at home, at work, in the car and on the
jogging trail."

http://web.archive.org/web/20070516072606/http://www.riaa.com/issues/ask/default.asp#stand

Also, from the Supreme Court oral arguments in the Grokster case,
Donald Virrelli, on behalf of the entertainment companies:

"The record companies, my clients, have said, for some time now, and
it's been on their Website for some time now, that it's perfectly
lawful to take a CD that you've purchased, upload it onto your
computer, put it onto your iPod. There is a very, very significant
lawful commercial use for that device, going forward."

Such a sleazy crew they are...

Dan