Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: New Study Refutes Assumed Link Between Cell Phone Use and Auto Accidents

From: David Farber <dfarber () cs cmu edu>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 17:31:38 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: August 21, 2007 10:37:14 AM EDT
To: Roman Gollent <roman-ip () gollent com>
Cc: lauren () vortex com, dfarber () cs cmu edu
Subject: Re: [IP] New Study Refutes Assumed Link Between Cell Phone Use and Auto Accidents

Roman,

A message that I received directly (but that Dave apparently chose
not to post on IP) points out some of the problems with self-reported
experiences vs. rigorous analysis of statistics.  For example, was
the fact that they were on the phone actually a cause of the
accident?  No way to know.  We do know that there are a range of
apparently more serious distractions that are harder to adjust for.
Dealing with kids in the back seat is an obvious one that rates near
or at the top of the list, though outside-the-car distractions are
way up there too.  E.g., when talking on a phone, it's easy to say
"hang on a sec" while dealing with a tougher driving spot and then
continue the conversation afterwards -- many other distractions
cannot be put on hold that way.

But the bottom line I believe is that given that there haven't been
major changes in vehicles or roads that would have an offsetting
effect on this metric, we would have expected to see *clear* evidence
of major accident rate increases if cell phone use was as dangerous
as was being claimed, and apparently those increases just aren't there.

There are other examples of situations where people swear by
self-reported incidents that don't hold up to statistical scrutiny.
One classic example is nurses swearing there were more births
during full moons.  Even in the face of statistics showing this
just wasn't true, they still insisted it was.  Human nature.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () vortex com or lauren () pfir org
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR
   - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Founder, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com

 - - -

Hi Lauren,

While I respect your point of view (and thoroughly enjoy many of your contributions), my personal experiences contradict whatever studies you might cite. Of the 3 times that we've gotten rear-ended (two times while waiting for a red light and a third time while stationary in a traffic jam on I-90), all 3 incidents involved people who had been on their cell phones. Not people that had dozed off, not people paying attention to their kids, not people fixing their makeup, etc.

In my case it's not conventional wisdom but unfortunate reality that leads me to believe that it might make a difference. By that same token, and at the risk of making the strongly libertarian crowd roar, I wish that they would ticket
distracted drivers, period.

Best Regards,
Roman