Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: 3+ Million passengers to be misidentified?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 03:14:32 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Krishna Kumar <kmkumar () earthling net>
Date: August 15, 2007 4:42:38 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] 3+ Million passengers to be misidentified?

For IP....

1) The actual numbers will be worse.  According to the TSA NPRM, the
program will cover both domestic flights AND international flights.

http://www.tsa.gov/assets/pdf/secureflight_nprm.pdf

The ATA report quoted doesn't give you international flight numbers,

However, another back of the envelope:

http://usinfo.state.gov/xarchives/display.html?p=washfile- english&y=2007&m=March&x=20070303174902lnkais0.2752497

51 million int. visitors to the US in 2006:

16 million from Canada
13 million from Mexico

20 million arriving from rest of the world;  most likely by air

You also have to include American LEAVING the US as well.

I'd say at least another 100 million air passengers on int. flights.

2) Also, the actual system will track you with a variety of other metrics,
including passport information and other things.  TSA notes that if you
don't give information, you may have problems.  So why you are only
required to give your name/birthdate/gender, the 3.5 million people who
fall into the grey zone will have to give more information to fly.

3)  72 hour rule.  According  to TSA, you have to provide that info 72
hours before flying (according to TSA 90% of travel reservations are
finalized 72 hours in advance). What are you supposed to do with the 10%
-- or 60 million people -- who don't finalize in 72 hours?

4) Data retention: TSA got good marks from privacy people on no keeping
data on people who don't match.   However, people who do match (the .05
percent, as well as the 10% who buy last minute tickets) may get their data
retained for 7 years.  Have fun on your next flight!

5) I understand these are BIG numbers. But how is that I can apply for a credit card -- a more intrusive survey -- and get a response in 30 seconds, or how is that MC/Visa can process a billion transactions a day -- and TSA
can't run names against a database in a 24 hour window (let alone a 5
minute window). This entire system is unwieldy and pointless -- if I was a terrorist all I would need is a fake passport # to give to the airline (not even a fake passport), be cleared in a 72 hour window, show up, give
a crappy fake passport to the check-in people (as you know, they are
trained to recogonize those things) and be on my flight.

Begin forwarded message: