Interesting People mailing list archives

Iraq war czar: Consider a draft

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 13:11:28 +0900

Thiswould end the war damn fast. Djf

From: EEkid () aol com [mailto:EEkid () aol com]
Sent: Saturday, August 11, 2007 12:07 PM
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Iraq war czar: Consider a draft

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/08/10/war.adviser.draft.ap/index.html

"Frequent tours for U.S. forces in Iraq and Afghanistan have stressed the
all-volunteer force and made it worth considering a return to a military
draft, President Bush's new war adviser said Friday

"I think it makes sense to certainly consider it," Army Lt. Gen. Douglas
Lute said in an interview with National Public Radio's "All Things
Considered."

"And I can tell you, this has always been an option on the table. But
ultimately, this is a policy matter between meeting the demands for the
nation's security by one means or another," said Lute, who is sometimes
referred to as the "Iraq war czar." It was his first interview since he was
confirmed by the Senate in June."

  _____

Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL.com
<http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour/?ncid=AOLAOF00020000000982> .