Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Google News

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 05:44:33 +0900

From: Jason Calacanis [mailto:jason () calacanis com]
Sent: Friday, August 10, 2007 5:38 AM
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Google News

Dave,

The bigger issue is that Google has positioned itself as not being in the
content business since inception. With this move they may not be producing
content, but they are certainly curating it. Couple that with YouTube's
Presidential debate and media companies are going to start scratching their
head I predict. These issues make it particularly hard for a Google sales
person to come into a company like the New York Times (or a smaller
publisher) and say "we're not competitive with you because we don't make
content and Yahoo is competitive with you because they do make content."

Yahoo on the other hand, clearly is in the content business despite what
their executives claim (i.e. their gaming content:
http://videogames.yahoo.com/ ). This is a problem for Yahoo's Publisher
Network and their partners because by partnering with Yahoo's advertising
network you're giving a large % of your revenue to someone who produces
content to compete with you. Google could start facing this issue if they
expand this program.

With regard to the scraping of comments, fair use would allow the quoting of
these experts in large part so Google would be much better off if they
simple offered these comments to the public under a Creative Commons,
non-commercial license.

best, j
Jason McCabe Calacanis
CEO, http://www.Mahalo.com