Interesting People mailing list archives

AT&T holds iPhone & number hostage

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 05:32:45 +0900

From: Justin [mailto:justin () hush cc]
Sent: Thursday, August 09, 2007 10:46 PM
To: dave () farber net
Subject: AT&T holds iPhone & number hostage

Hi Dave,

For IP, if interesting. Folks that have prepaid iPhone AT&T accounts, who
need to get a replacement iPhone for whatever reason, are put in the tenuous
position of either  a) paying AT&T for the "privilege" of moving to a normal
postpaid account, then being indentured to continue paying for 2 years, or
b) losing their investment in the iPhone, or losing their phone number. For
those of us that have been able to keep their same number for many years,
this has pretty dire business consequences.

Regards,

- Justin D.

---------------

This starts out on July 1st, when I picked up an iPhone from my local (NYC)
Apple Store. Went back to the office, and activated it. Right off the bat,
I'm offered the choice of going to an AT&T Store to pony up a deposit, or
choose a prepaid plan. My credit is not the best, and while if I had to
guess, my deposit wouldn't be more than $300 (based on experiences with
other carriers), I didn't know how well AT&T's service would fare here in
New York City. So, I chose a prepaid plan.

After a day of not being able to receive calls while my number was being
ported over, and another two days after that not being able to send or
receive text messages from anyone but AT&T subscribers, my iPhone was fully
working.

Albeit with a pop-up message informing me of my balance after doing anything
that used airtime, but that's a story for another day.

A few weeks later, and I notice that there are these large, bright white
swaths developing on the screen. They took up the top 1/3rd of the screen,
and would get brighter the more I used the iPhone (the longer the screen was
on). So like any picky consumer, I headed down to the Apple Store to get it
replaced.

Sure enough, after 14 days, you can't have it replaced in-store. They treat
it like a computer rather than an iPod, which for most cases you can get an
in-store swap past 14 days.

I inform the Genius that the iPhone isn't a computer at all, as it resembles
the functions of an iPod in every way except for the fact that it makes
calls. The Genius would have none of this, and insisted that my iPhone would
have to be sent in for repair. I stand by my statement that the iPhone, in
its current incarnation, is not a computer whatsoever, but that also is a
story for another day.

The Genius takes my iPhone, wraps it delicately in its cardboard coffin, and
offers me a loaner iPhone. (Protip: the loaner iPhones apparently have a
different build of "mobile OS X" than regular iPhones.) I take the loaner
iPhone, and go on my merry way.

Fast forward a week or so. I go to check the status of my repair. To my
surprise, Apple's repair status page says that it has been delivered back to
me! "But wherever could it be," I wonder. Clicking the tracking link leads
me to a FedEx page that informs me yes, my repaired iPhone has been
delivered... to someone in Louisiana. If you don't recall from earlier, I'm
in New York. And no, my N's dont look like L's nor do my Y's look like A's.
Besides, the paperwork from the Genius that sent out my iPhone has *printed*
information, and it does indeed say that my shipping address is in New York.
Thank goodness for that new-fangled laser printing technology, eh?

Anyway, after a day or two on the phone with Apple, I get a call from a very
helpful gentleman at Apple Corporate, who apologizes for the situation and
decides to just send me a brand new iPhone. Not too shabby.

I received the new iPhone yesterday. After erasing the loaner iPhone, I pop
my SIM card into the new iPhone, and am greeted by the "Activate iPhone"
screen. So I plug it into my MacBook Pro. iTunes pops up the screen,
"Activating your new iPhone. Please enter your AT&T Wireless number, zip
code, last 4 of your social." I follow my master's instructions, but after
"verifying" my information, I'm informed that AT&T is "sorry, but your
current account cannot be used with the iPhone."

Huh. I was already using two iPhones with this account - my original one,
and the loaner one. So I try again, and again and again. Old SIM, new SIM,
no difference.

I grab the office phone, and give AT&T a call. Cutting a long story short,
I'm informed that I "cannot use the new iPhone with my prepaid account." So
I call Apple. By the height of this Apple call, I'm on the line with one
iPhone technician and two AT&T technicians at the same time. Helpful folks
all around. But we just couldn't get the iPhone onto my prepaid account. We
all decide that it might be best to head over to the Apple Store to try
another iPhone, to eliminate bad hardware as the culprit. I get my Apple
case number and the Apple tech's direct phone number. Total phone time: 4
hours.

Head over to my Apple Store, 10:10pm appointment. The Genius pops open a
brand new iPhone, I put my SIMs in, and the same result - error messages.
Genius informs me that they've "had nothing but trouble with prepaid
accounts, if you were on a postpaid account it would work like (snaps
fingers) *that*." I thank him for his time, and head home. Ticked.

This afternoon, after trying unsuccessfully to contact the same Apple tech,
I decide to call AT&T. After talking to and getting bounced around 14 or so
different people (most at AT&T, a few at Apple), total phone time 3 hours,
here's the verdict, given to me from AT&T technicians and managers on high:

If you activated an iPhone with a new AT&T prepaid plan, you *must* keep
using that iPhone. You *cannot* replace that iPhone with another iPhone. The
only way to use a new iPhone with your prepaid account, is to *create a new
account with a new phone number,* and have them move your balance over.
Period. Apparently this is a "security feature" and the system was "designed
that way," specifically for prepaid iPhone plans. (Based on the number of
people at AT&T that either were, or were not, aware of this, I can surmise
that their internal communication is dreadful.)

This is a "security feature" despite the fact that the *helpful* AT&T techs
were able to, and did, change all IMEI numbers, make sure the proper SIM ID
number was on my account, basically checked every last detail of my account
to make sure that it would recognize this new iPhone. But, no dice.
Nutshelled, it's all related to that first step where your iPhone is at the
Activate screen, and it then requires communication with iTunes, which in
turn communicates with AT&T, to really activate.

So if you have a prepaid account and you lose your iPhone, break it, have it
stolen, anything that would mean getting a replacement iPhone, it cannot be
used on your prepaid account. At all.

This poses quite a problem: I need to keep my number. I've had my number for
at least 8 years, and I rely on my phone for *all* business and personal
matters. Losing my number is not an option. If I want to use my iPhone with
my phone number, I have to switch from a prepaid account  to a normal
postpaid postpaid account, by paying whatever my required deposit would be,
simultaneously getting locked into a 2-year contract.

This situation allows me to state very simply: AT&T is holding my iPhone,
and phone number, hostage. For me to use my iPhone with my phone number
would require me to pay anywhere from $100 to $1000 dollars and be
contractually obligated to continue paying AT&T for 2 years.

My other choice? Ditch my iPhone, pop my SIM into a regular GSM handset, and
have them remove the add'l iPhone-specific items from my prepaid plan. Which
is what I'm doing until I can figure out what to do. I have 13 days to
decide (Apple's return period), because beyond that point, I can't argue
that the new iPhone I received from Apple Dispatch qualifies as an item I
can return to the Apple Store for a refund, even if I have to eat a
restocking fee.

Whelp, that's the story. If nothing else, I hope this serves as fair warning
to anyone looking to purchase an iPhone while they're AT&T-only devices.
Especially if you think you're doing yourself a favor by choosing that
no-contract prepaid plan they may offer you.