Interesting People mailing list archives

NSA wiretap saga continues

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 10:06:16 +0900

-----Original Message-----
From: Aleecia M. McDonald [mailto:aleecia () aleecia com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2007 1:28 AM
To: David Farber
Subject: NSA wiretap saga continues

Professor Farber,

For IP if you please.

The FBI just used a "classified" warrant to raid the home of a
government lawyer who had raised internal objections to the NSA
surveillance program. Michael Isikoff's article: http://
www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20121795/site/newsweek/

Meanwhile, Congress changed FISA to allow the government to expand
warrantless phone and email taps. See http://www.csmonitor.com/
2007/0806/p99s04-duts.html for an overview. ISPs are required to
cooperate and given immunity for doing so. There is no longer any
requirement that the "target" is a terrorist or a spy. It is unclear
to me if there are limits to data collection such that only
communications that bounce outside the US are gathered, or if it is a
large dragnet with "trust us, we won't peak." Given the nature of
Internet routing, and my current level of trust, neither makes me
feel warm and fuzzy. I would appreciate any pointers to
implementation details.

The changes to FISA sunset in six months. This presents an
opportunity to call your Congress critters to express your opinion,
if you're into that sort of thing.

        Aleecia