Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Ca rejects voting machines, 8/5/7 NYTimes

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2007 10:29:34 +0900

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Weisberg [mailto:weisberg1 () texoma net]
Sent: Monday, August 06, 2007 2:04 AM
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Ca rejects voting machines, 8/5/7 NYTimes

For ip.

If we don't trust our electoral process, we will disintegrate.
California's electoral machinery was called into question by
respectable and responsible professionals.  Sec. Bowen had no choice but
to act decisively and effectively to restore
confidence in the system she was sworn to administer and protect.  I am
certain that her constituents will sleep a lot better as a result.

And, while I am not qualified to judge the the merits of the experts'
concerns with the particular voting machines, as with all critical systems,
Bowen correctly applied the cardinal rule: if we fail, it must be
"safe."  Better "safe" than "sorry."