Interesting People mailing list archives

Jobs

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2007 06:22:32 +0900

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen Unger [mailto:unger () cs columbia edu]
Sent: Sunday, August 05, 2007 6:19 AM
To: Dave Farber
Subject: Jobs

Dave,

I hope you will find this interesting enough to post on ip.

Steve
There is a lot going on with respect to the jobs of computer people
and other engineers. The old cries of shortages are being raised in
the context of efforts to increase H-1B allotments. At the same time
there is much talk about what should be done about "guest  workers" of
a different category: those at the bottom of the economic heap, mostly
from Mexico and central America. Economists express horror at the idea
of laws that might protect American workers from the outsourcing
process that seems to be moving the US into the third world category.

I believe we have to look beyond slogans and rigid economic
ideology. To begin with, we need to debunk the nonsense about
shortages. I have taken  a crack at clarifying this murky situation in
an essay entitled, "Jobs", that can be found at:
http://www1.cs.columbia.edu/~unger/myBlog/endsandmeansblog.html ............