Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Comcast Cuts Off Heavy Internet Users and Modems and Webcams and VoIP and web servers and ...

From: David Farber <dfarber () cs cmu edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 02:40:18 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Bob Frankston" <bob37-2 () bobf frankston com>
Date: August 27, 2007 12:11:20 AM EDT
To: <dave () farber net>, <ip () v2 listbox com>

Here we go again! Haven’t we seen this before when modems were destroying the fabric of the country and when webcams were abuses? If we follow this line of reasoning then running a gigabit network in my house must be very wasteful – will I get cut off too?

If you think about the history of the phone network – originally the failure to use the phone and list your number impeded others’ ability to send and receive information. We’ve gone from encouraging communication to discouraging it even as the capacity keeps increasing. Tragedy? Comedy?

They do have a point as we’ve seen with the discussion on ATT’s inability to find a business model in this new world. They cannot afford to let us use our, oops, I mean, their network. It’s not that it’s expensive – almost all the fiber is lying fallow. And in another recent discussion we learned that the cable companies are realizing that they are wasting all that redundant broadband in broadcast mode – they want to increase the capacity for their services but not to make that Internet available to us to use. The problem is that they don’t have a business model so we can’t have a life model.

There is some (more) (Moore?) irony here – they compete on broadband speed but then cite us for actually using it? Huh? They reason they have to use the “we’ll know it when we see it” policy is that they are applying metrics suitable to 1934 in 2007. It is indeed like obscenity.

The question is why we put up with this nonsense. Why do we act is if the Internet is something we consumed like electricity rather than something to which we call can contribute. Why do we accept such limits on public safety, education etc? (There is a longer discussion on the problem of the Internet opportunity dynamic meeting telecom’s one-size-fits-all dynamic).

One reason is that we confuse the artifice of carrier pricing with reality.

Brett is caught in the middle – he’s really a broker for his users and not a provider. The carrier pricing is his reality. But it’s more fun to identify with the carriers rather than his fellow users. His problems are real but must not be the basis for larger policy decisions.

The investors better start asking hard questions if they are putting money into businesses which fear abundance.