Interesting People mailing list archives

FCC wants to regulate "violence" on broadcast and basic cable TV

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 06:39:04 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: April 24, 2007 1:35:35 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: lauren () vortex com
Subject: FCC wants to regulate "violence" on broadcast and basic cable TV

Dave,

Here we go.  The FCC is about to release a report to Congress
suggesting that lawmakers enact legislation controlling "violent
content" -- not only on broadcast television but apparently on
"basic cable" channels as well.

See: http://tinyurl.com/267ea5 (Washington Post article)

The legal battles that would certainly result will be breathtaking,
and it seems rather likely that calls to extend such regulations to
the Internet will follow.  If you think that defining obscenity is
tough, just wait until we see people of all stripes arguing about
the relative violence of a stick of TNT blowing Daffy Duck's bill
around his head.

That's Not All, Folks!  More after the report is released.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () vortex com or lauren () pfir org
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR
   - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, IOIC
   - International Open Internet Coalition - http://www.ioic.net
Founder, CIFIP
   - California Initiative For Internet Privacy - http://www.cifip.org
Founder, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
DayThink: http://daythink.vortex.com