Interesting People mailing list archives

Life after the Information Revolution * 4:15PM, Wed April 11, 2007 in Gates B01 Stanford ..

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2007 17:03:30 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: allison () stanford edu
Date: April 8, 2007 2:49:35 PM EDT
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: [EE CS Colloq] Life after the Information Revolution * 4:15PM, Wed April 11, 2007 in Gates B01

             Stanford EE Computer Systems Colloquium
                 4:15PM, Wednesday, April 11, 2007
        HP Auditorium, Gates Computer Science Building B01
                   http://ee380.stanford.edu[1]

Topic:     Life after the Information Revolution

Speaker:  Paul Saffo
          Institute for the Future (on leave)

+***************************************************************+
*                                                               *
* IMPORTANT:  THIS TALK IS SCHEDULED FOR April 11th, 2007.      *
* The previous announcement got the date wrong.                 *
* Sorry for any confusion.                                      *
*                                                               *
+***************************************************************+

About the talk:

The internet bubble marked the end of the information revolution
-- and the beginning of something much bigger, an age of personal
media. It is a revolution we have been anticipating ever since
McLuhan turned Media into a household word in the 1960s, but as
typically happens, even this most anticipated of revolutions is
arriving late, and in utterly unexpected ways. ^Media" is
information that has gone deep into the structure of society, and
the changes it is triggering go far beyond what we watch, create
and pass around to friends. It also changes what we make, what we
use and how we see the world and the challenges that surround us.

VIDEO ACCESS: This talk may not be archived for general on demand
viewing over the web. The talk will be available to students enrolled
in EE380 for on demand viewing over the web with access controlled by
password. Details are still being worked out and will be announced on
the Colloquium website, http://ee380.stanford.edu, when finalized.

About the speaker:

(image) Paul is a forecaster and essayist with over two decades
experience exploring long-term technological change and its
practical impact on business and society. Paul currently teaches
at Stanford University and is on a research sabbatical from
Institute for the Future where he has worked since 1985. He was
the founding Chairman of the Samsung Science Board, and serves on
a variety of other boards including the Long Now Foundation, the
Singapore National Research Foundation Science Advisory Board and
is an Advisor to Red Planet Capital, and 3i Venture Capital. Paul
also has served as an advisor and Forum Fellow to the World
Economic Forum, and is a Fellow of the Royal Swedish Academy of
Engineering Sciences. His essays have appeared in numerous
publications, including The Harvard Business Review, Fortune,
Wired, The Los Angeles Times, Newsweek, The New York Times and
the Washington Post. Paul holds degrees from Harvard College,
Cambridge University, and Stanford University.

http://www.saffo.com[2] for details.

Contact information:

Paul Saffo

Embedded Links: