Interesting People mailing list archives

report from the front -- Jobs 9/11 Disney and Apple

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 17:15:55 +0900

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Brock N. Meeks" <bmeeks () cox net>
Date: September 13, 2006 2:55:18 PM JST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Jobs 9/11 Disney and Apple

I don't know where Richard is getting his information that Massoud "was
notorious" for never had a CIA or US agent get near him; as far as I know,
that statement is itself inaccurate.

I covered the real Afghan War and was there just after the Soviets left. I never personally met Massoud, but I certainly met several of his commanders who weren't shy about answering my questions and seeing to my safety inside Afghanistan (after the Soviets left, the Moscow-based puppet regime fought much harder and braver than anyone in the world previously would have given
them credit for).

Massoud most certainly would have met with the CIA; all his weapons were
being supplied by the CIA throughout the Soviet occupation. And in fact, a
huge rift developed between the CIA and Afgan rebel leaders like Massoud
because the CIA weapons pipeline abruptly stopped in March of 1989, just as the Muj were staging an offensive... and without the arms supplies, they got
slaughtered.  I saw that slaughter up close and personal.