Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Jobs 9/11 Disney and Apple

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 12:19:48 +0900

Begin forwarded message:

From: Tim Onosko <onosko () gmail com>
Date: September 13, 2006 11:27:02 AM JST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Jobs 9/11 Disney and Apple

Dave Farber:

I am neither a conservative nor a Republican, but I watched the ABC film, "The Path to 9/11" on the advice of a friend (a respected historian and someone whom i would consider a poltical liberal) who has worked with the writer of this miniseries before. I wonder who among those objecting to the program have bothered to watch the film?

First, with regard to fairness shown toward the Clinton administration, the cruise missile attack on the Sudan, which was widely criticized at the time (by Republicans and conservatives, no less) as the "Wag the Dog" scenario to distract from the Monica Lewinsky issue, is depicted in a different light and I had new respect for that action considering it in the context shown. And, again with regard to even-handedness, there is also a scathing scene in which Condoleeza Rice demotes special adviser Richard Clarke, all the while describing it as a restructuring and reassignment. If anything, my impression is that it is the bureaucracy that is depicted as the real enemy, and characters representing both administrations use compromised language with equal ease.

Second, if the film fails, it is because it may be overly ambitious. My own speculation is that someone at ABC watched (and admired) "Syriana" and thought that it was an appropriate direction for this TV film. While I don't think it comes near meeting "Syriana" for quality of writing, acting, direction, etc., this might have been a good goal. The problem is that "Path" is twice as long and is an endless litany of (mostly Arabic) names and places. Many audiences found "Syriana" confusing (although I didn't), so a sizable portion of the ABC audience must have tuned out early, I suspect.

I consider myself informed on the subject of 9/11, and I admired Adam Curtis' excellent BBC documentary, "The Power of Nightmares" (mostly for its superb historical background) but the sheer hailstorm of detail in "Path" was daunting, even for me. It required attention that I'm sure many viewers were not accustomed to devoting to a TV show.

I don't know if I am defending "Path to 9/11" or not, but I do question those who dismiss it without the benefit of having seen it. I think that is unfair to any filmmaker or writer who dares put forth his or her work to be criticized without due consideration. Moreover, Americans need to be more informed about the events and people that have led to the current Middle East situation, not less. And this film is not as easy to dismiss as its critics would have us think. I does serve a purpose, if only to stimulate debate.

The notion that Apple shouldn't do business with Disney/ABC because of this is simplistic and, in my opinion, completely silly.

-- Tim Onosko