Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Google Motto, fine distinctions and the ethics of knowledge

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 17:09:10 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "K.E." <guavaberry () earthlink net>
Date: September 4, 2006 1:12:42 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Google Motto, fine distinctions and the ethics of knowledge

I can tell you that Google has cached my robots.txt file
without permission. This was not done with my cooperation.
The code specifically required to keep the
bot from caching was ignored. Subsequent email to google
asking them to delete the cashed file has been ignored.
They do NOT correct their databases. They have not
required their bots to honor the code they have supplied the public.

I have requested they delete the cached file and have not done it,
even though their bots have been to my site on a daily basis.

Karen Ellis
Educational CyberPlayGround

<snip>

As far as I can see Google does not force anyone to use their
services, and denying them access to your publicly available web
resources is a matter of making an entry in your robots.txt file. So
any information that Google retains was gathered with the cooperation
of the parties involved (and if the cooperation was unwitting... the
witlessness does not appear to be google's).

<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>
The Educational CyberPlayGround
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/

National Children's Folksong Repository
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/NCFR/

Hot List of Schools Online and
Net Happenings, K12 Newsletters, Network Newsletters
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Community/

7 Hot Site Awards
New York Times, USA Today , MSNBC, Earthlink,
USA Today Best Bets For Educators, Macworld Top Fifty