Interesting People mailing list archives

Verizon's FIOS? Yawn. We're Nowhere.

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 06:06:43 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bruce Kushnick <bruce () newnetworks com>
Date: September 27, 2006 9:39:35 PM EDT
To: "'David Farber'" <dave () farber net>
Subject: Verizon's FIOS? Yawn. We're Nowhere.

Teletruth News Analysis, Sept. 27th, 2006

From Verizon’s FiOS announcement: We're Nowhere.

http://investor.verizon.com/news/view.aspx?NewsID=773

“By the end of the third quarter 2006, Verizon expects to have more than
500,000 FiOS Internet customers...”

“By the end of the third quarter 2006, Verizon expects to have more than
100,000 FiOS TV customers...”

Just to keep the hype in place, Verizon has ½ million internet/broadband
FiOS customers and only 100,000 cable customers.  This was the number of
customers that should have been wired and using the promised fiber optic
services in by 1994 -- and that was 45mbps in both directions, 500 channels
and open to all competition.

By 2000, Verizon (Bell Atlantic, NYNEX ands GTE) (from annual report data)
*   Bell Atlantic alone was supposed to have 8.75 million homes,
*   NYNEX was to have 1.5-2 million homes by 1996
*   GTE promised 7 million homes by 2000.

Here’s a compilation of quotes:
http://www.newnetworks.com/bellbroadbandfailures.html

Or read more about our analysis of FiOS.
http://www.newnetworks.com/fioslightspeed.htm

Our take: Right now we applaud Verizon for trying to fix the problems of the past, since AT&T and Verizon are the ones responsible for America being 16th in broadband. But, much of this is still hype, especially AT&T. If history
is our guide, these companies are ‘gaming’ the system with announcements
that they will never fulfill to get regulations and mergers through.

Teletruth tracked the statements made and the consequences – the Bell
mergers and filed a complaint with FCC and DOJ,

http://www.newnetworks.com/FTCcomplaintSBCVerizon.htm

*    New Neutrality? Customers funded "open" "ubiquitous", networks, not
     closed networks.
*    Video Franchise? Billions per state have already been collected and
     that money should be refunded or the networks open.

Customer Overcharging? From the Verizon announcement, phone customers are illegally being charged for the deployment and creation of an 'interstate'
information product and cable service.

?the company (Verizon) said it expects to invest $18.0 billion in net
capital from 2004 through 2010 in deploying the nation’s largest network
that brings the broadband capacity of fiber optics all the way to customers’ homes and businesses. This total is net of approximately $4.9 billion that
Verizon estimates would otherwise be required to maintain traditional
copper-wire technologies over the same period."

No wonder the price of local service in New York City has risen 426%.
Customers are being overbilled.
http://www.newnetworks.com/NYClocal%20charges19802006.htm

Bruce Kushnick
Author: $200 Billion Broadband Scandal