Interesting People mailing list archives

David R. Cheriton School of Computer Science

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 06:46:09 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Rod Van Meter <rdv () tera ics keio ac jp>
Date: September 26, 2006 10:49:52 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: David R. Cheriton School of Computer Science

Hi Dave,

For IP, if you wish...

I know the name David Cheriton for his seminal work in distributed
systems in the 1980s, including the V system he led the development of
as a Stanford professor. (I've always been particularly fond of the
"triangle RPCs" in VMTP, allowing the reply to an RPC to arrive from a
node different from the one that the request was sent to. We gave
serious consideration to using that model in the Netstation work in the
mid-90s.) Others no doubt know his name as a venture capitalist; he made
a gazillion (a google?) bucks backing a little startup named Google
almost a decade ago.

Now his name will be known to many because of his gift of $25 million to
the University of Waterloo, where the CS department now becomes the
David R. Cheriton School of Computer Science.

Congratulations to UW, and thanks, David, for giving back! Without strong
universities, we have no future.

http://www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/about/news/2006/cheriton

                --Rod

Rod Van Meter, quantum computer architect
rdv () tera ics keio ac jp, rdv () alumni caltech edu
http://rdvlivefromtokyo.blogspot.com/