Interesting People mailing list archives

more on S.F. stalling Wi-Fi plans, Google executive charges (why are they surprised djf)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 13:27:33 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Glenn Fleishman <glenn () glennf com>
Date: September 26, 2006 12:55:47 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on S.F. stalling Wi-Fi plans, Google executive charges (why are they surprised djf)

Tom Gray <tom_gray_grc () yahoo com> wrote:
I attended a talk by a vendor of WiFi equipment for
municipal applications on Friday. He discussed the San
Francisco issue specifically. According to him, the
issue was with the backhaul technology planned by
Google. This would provide a choke point that would
greatly limit the bandwidth available to individual
users. Other more expensive back haul technology does
not suffer from this issue.

Not to dispute what you heard the vendor say, but Google isn't driving this; EarthLink is. Google co-bid with SF, but Google and EarthLink have said that EarthLink is the builder and operator of the network and Google will be a paid client redistributing free access.

EarthLink standardized last year on a Tropos + Motorola platform. The Canopy (not exactly pre-WiMax) and WiMax platforms that Motorola is using can carry fairly high amounts of bandwidth over the short distances that will be used in bringing clusters of Tropos Wi-Fi nodes together. There will be a Motorola backhaul node for every cluster of Wi-Fi nodes, and that will probably handle 20 Mbps to a central point that will aggregate onto fiber or licensed microwave backhaul to central POPs.
--
Glenn Fleishman
seattle . washington