Interesting People mailing list archives

more on China Builds a Better Internet

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 10:27:40 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: David Cowhig <david.cowhig () verizon net>
Date: September 26, 2006 8:29:48 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on China Builds a Better Internet

A chapter in the PRC book "Technology Foresight 2005" [2005 Jishu Yujian Baobao] from the Chinese Academy of Science has a chapter on IPv6 and China. My translation of some excerpts is copied below. Publication information on the book (in Chinese) is at this URL: http://www.sciencep.com/sciencep/publish/bookdetails.php? searchingbookid=14416

David Cowhig

Technology Foresight Report 2005 [Jishu Yujian Baogao]

Edited by the Technology Foresight Report Committee as part of the “Foresight on Chinese Technology Over the Next Twenty Years” under the Chinese Academy of Sciences Knowledge Innovation Project [Zhishi Chuangxin Gongcheng]

Beijing, July 2005, Science Publishing Company [Kexue Chubanshe http://www.sciencep.com].

ISBN 7-03-015636-6

Publisher information on this book is here .

Technology Foresight 2005 is part of the Chinese Academy of Sciences "Science and Technology Foresight" series of reports. This 500 page report published in July 2005 by CAS surveys the state of world technology in many important fields and comments on where China is in each technology and where China is likely to go in that technology over the next decade. The book is divided into eight chapters of roughly fifty pages each on:

Translation of excerpt from Chapter 9, “Network Technology”

By Li Zhongcheng, Computer Technology Institute, Chinese Academy of Sciences

1.2 As the internet and communications network merge all along the line from the technology level to the business level, the Internet Protocol will be become the Core Transmission Protocol

In the future, all the networks will merge, be they wired networks or wireless networks into a great merged network all using the internet protocol. This will enable to realize the dream of “communicating with anyone at anytime and anyplace”. In this process, IP version 6 (IPv6) will gradually replace IP version 4 (IPv4) as the core internet protocol.

The IPv4, which was developed over twenty years ago, has difficulty solving the problems such as speed and security of the large, high speed networks of today. The problem of compatibility of IPv6 with IPv4 is being resolved after several years of development which is now moving into the implementation stage. Over the next five to ten years, IPv4 will gradually give way to IPv6. The factor pushing the implementation of IPv6 is the exhaustion of IP addresses and the overloading of routing tables. IPv6 is also designed to solve some other problems of internet development such as the quality of service during real-time data transmission, the security problems that are worsening daily, and the demand for mobile communications with anyone. The demand for IP addresses is very tight in China and East Asia and so the need to move to IPv6 is greatest there. In particular, the very rapid growth of the wireless communications in China, which now has more cell telephone users than any other country. The next generation networks, relying on the internet protocol as its core technology, will make IP addresses an important resource, and therefore a bottleneck for the development of the internet and communications industry.

The next generation network will be the heart of the information society of the future. IPv6 will be its soul. The communications industry based on the IPv6 will be the largest sector of the information industry. Preliminary estimates predict that its market value will exceed US 1 trillion. Therefore, promoting the development of IPv6 technologies will be important for the development of China’s information industry and for China’s overall competitiveness. It will also be important for economic, political, military and cultural development of Chinese society. All the developed countries and regions of the world have set their own plans for developing IPv6.

The development of the next generation internet is a gold opportunity for all the countries of the world. The UK, Germany, France, Japan, Canada and other developed countries, in addition to large education and science and technology networks built and operated using government investments, are also making very large investments on research on the next generation of internet. Because of the shortage of IP addresses, China has an especially strong demand for IPv6.

Under the IPv4 framework, development of the Chinese internet and its entire IT industry is severely limited. For historical reasons, China is far behind the United States in research on technologies, standards setting, product development and many other areas. IPv6 gives China a good opportunity to narrow this gap. More IP addresses will fundamentally resolve the problem the bottleneck that is hindering the development of the Chinese internet and IT industry. IPv6 will enable China to set out with the rest of the world from the same starting line and be competitive internationally. IPv4 address shortage, its large population base, and the rapid expansion of the internet will make it easier for China to become an early adopter of IPv6. That will become an advantage across the board through early adoption of IPv6 applications in China, promotion of IPv6 research, and product development and applications. This will put China in an advantageous position in the international competition to develop the internet.

---
Other chapters in Technology Foresight 2005

* Information technology;
* Biotechnology and pharmaceuticals;
* Materials science and technology;
* Energy technology;
* Key technological problems within information technology such as fourth generation mobile communications systems, computer security and micro photo-mechanical-electronic systems; * Key technological problems in biotechnology and pharmaceuticals such as high throughput gene expression technology, microorganism metabolism technologies from molecular machines to cellular factories; * Key technological problems.in materials science and technology including achieving solar cells with a photoelectric conversion efficiency of 50%; and * Key technological problems in energy technology such as China's clean coal technology and oil extraction technologies on floating offshore oil platforms.

Begin forwarded message: