Interesting People mailing list archives

The Legacy of Star Trek

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 06:34:47 +0200

Begin forwarded message:

From: Billy Brackenridge <BillyB () msn com>
Date: September 23, 2006 5:43:22 AM GMT+02:00
To: "'David Farber'" <dave () farber net>
Cc: "'Pete Sloman'" <pete_the_spy () sbcglobal net>
Subject: FW: FW: [IP] The Legacy of Star Trek

There is a fundamental problem in all of these efforts to provide Internet connectivity. It’s considered to have no value to the city so it isn’t funded directly and transparently.

It’s like being unwilling to pay for highways and instead asking MacDonald’s or other concession owner to pay for the roads in return for getting some traffic to their restaurants.

We see the same problem with wired connectivity – the triple play funding model treats connectivity with disdain. It’s just something you get if you watch enough TV and you don’t get any if you aren’t at home unless someone can make a profit off by controlling each wireless bit.

If I’m less charitable I compare it privateers who looted enemy commerce. It was self-funded out of the loot they could take.

It may take a generation to understand that connectivity is fundamental so I’m shifting to looking at the edge. We’ll get more incentive when companies making products and services, such as alarms and monitoring, see the value in using shared connectivity rather than creating their own special solutions and negotiating new relationships each time. If that effort went into extending IP connectivity we’d start to get benefit.

I’m taking about modest IP connectivity – the most valuable services such as medical monitoring or supporting infrastructure is akin to a slow modem and can be deployed over any path – no need for DSL or all that. Just put a simple packet transceiver at both ends of a copper line and you have a 24x7 data path for devices and services without a large footprint deployment.

Imagine if we waited for broadband before we’d use the web – it wouldn’t have happened. The problem was not in the technology, After all, DSL is a 1980’s technology. We wouldn’t have experienced the Internet so wouldn’t have known what to ask for.

Today we don’t have many applications that take advantage of ubiquitous connectivity so it’s hard to get people to see the value. If we start to take advantage of what I call modest connectivity then people will start to understand that concept of connectivity in itself.

Even something as simple as getting current traffic information on a map in your car is a miracle now. But why not a small PC with a screen and an Internet connection? Just mash-in a GPS signal and web traffic feed and it’s down. Just like when someone first put a camera in a kindergarten class – the day before the idea was high end fiction and the next day it was mundane. Applications such as medical monitoring may have a higher perceive value and justify deployments out of savings in money and lives.

Until people see enough value in the connectivity itself we’ll continue to settling for the gleanings left over after all the important entertainment traffic has passed.