Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Response to David Reed and Brett and the FRC

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 00:53:48 +0900

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: September 13, 2006 2:25:54 AM JST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Response to David Reed and Brett and the FRC

Dave - though I could continue my discussion/argument with Brett, I think it would be a waste of your readers' time. His response to my response continues to show his relatively weak grasp of the basics of electromagnetic waves, information theory, and the limits of current radio technology. There is no need for me to point those out to people who understand such things.

I do want to respond to his misreading of two of my statements, in order again to twist their meaning.

First: when I said on this list ""The Shannon-Hartley Theorem does not provide a limit to the communications capacity of the electromagnetic field...." I was making a very precise statement. The theorem does not. Brett's claim was that it did. Any physical limits arise from physical circumstances, in other words, from the physical constraints of the universe. SHT merely assumes that the physical environment of its channel consists of Gaussian White Noise. That is, that there is a probability distribution that predicts a process by which noise arrives at the receiver, which satisfies a particular model. The SHT does NOT assert that the world is built that way, and as I have said, physicists do not see that when they measure the world in experiments. Some very narrow experiments of very narrow bands in very isolated circumstances see GWN-like phenomena. But you really have to throw out datapoints and pretend that you are in a free, equilibrium vacuum (or construct a test chamber) to see GWN.

And of course, the "Shannon Limit" is just a relationship between signal power and achievable information rate given as a "known" the variance of Gaussian White Noise in its abstract channel (variance for Gaussian signals = power).

Second: he quotes from an interview "There's no scarcity of spectrum any more than there's a scarcity of the color green. We could instantly hook up to the Internet everyone who can pick up a radio signal, and they could pump through as many bits as they could ever want. We'd go from an economy of digital scarcity to an economy of digital abundance."

I speak and write as precisely as I can, and this quote was no exception. I stated "no scarcity". Brett would like that to be read as if I said there is "no limit to capacity". But what I was saying is precisely that there is no current scarcity of spectrum for all communications that would prevent the entire Internet from becoming wireless. Of course, the current form of regulation *does* prevent that very directly, by allocating frequencies to transmitters by service. This quote had nothing to do with the ShannonHartley theorem. It was referring to the idea of "interference" which says that two transmissions cannot be allowed to be in the same band at the same time, because information is "destroyed". That notion of "interference" is incorrect. Information is destroyed only by very complex, energetic suppression, in a system as linear as the electromagnetic field. What happens when you have multiple signals from multiple transmitters is superposition. Superposition leads to ambiguity when (and ONLY when) there is sufficiently unpredictable noise and insufficient sampling by the receiver. Increase the sampling, decrease the noise's predictability, and the ambiguity can be resolved.

It's not the quantity of "spectrum" that limits communication. Instead it is the design of the receiver system (including its antenna), the characteristics of the noise process (perhaps best described in terms of noise entropy, or information content, of the field on which signals are superposed), and the computational capabilities of the receiver (analog or digital) that are available to disambiguate the signals.

Begin forwarded message: