Interesting People mailing list archives

Who's a Bandwidth Bandit? - The Checkout

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 07:32:03 -0400

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/thecheckout/2006/10/bandwidth_bandit.html

Who's a Bandwidth Bandit?
I've spent the past few days talking to call center experts for an upcoming story and a standard refrain I keep hearing is that oftentimes, the things that drive consumers crazy the most are not the call center's fault, but bad practices by the company.

David T. of Annandale, among others, appears to have stumbled across a case in point.

About a year ago, he signed up for Verizon Wireless's "unlimited high- speed wireless Internet access" for $60 per month.

Then, a month ago, David, a computer consultant who used the service to assist his database clients, was kicked off. When he called Verizon Wireless, he was transferred to the security department, which told him his account had been "permanently terminated" because he had used more than 166 megabytes per day.

"You abused and damaged our network," he was told

.<snip>