Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Increased Risk

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 13:29:49 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Stephan Somogyi <ip045 () st gyroscope net>
Date: October 12, 2006 1:06:11 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Increased Risk

At 14:44 +0100 12.10.2006, Frode Hegland wrote:

A good point in the Independent newspaper here in the UK today. Page 8, headline: "Security at airports 'increase risk of terror'". Couldn't find a URL, sorry.

<http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/transport/article1842572.ece>

The first point that is made that there is a bigger risk of a rocket or mortar attack from outside the airport than someone with a bomb, now that they are looking for this.

This is no surprise. Reduce one attack vector and a motivated attacker will find another.

Eg, the advent of car alarms and increasingly sophisticated vehicle ignition/immobilization systems begat a rise in carjackings. What better time to perform the attack than when the user (driver) has already authenticated (legit key in ignition lock)?

Also worth noting is that the IRA fired mortars at Heathrow in March of 1994, so this is already a well-known risk.

But the second point made me feel a little dumb. And scared. Because it's so obvious and quite scary: Security lines are long and of course, they are by definition not secure - they are there to make the area after them secure. This makes them a very attractive target: Bomb in a briefcase in a security line. Lots of people killed and the terror and chaos that would ensue would be phenomenal. People would be very uneasy about standing in long security lines after that.

I've never flown El Al; I'd be curious to know how it mitigates this particular risk, since it seems to be the benchmark of effective security measures -- as opposed to security theater -- in this space, and its screening methodology seems inherently low-throughput.

For those interested in airline security, I found the Science Friday interview with Rafi Ron in August to be quite informative:

<http://www.sciencefriday.com/pages/2006/Aug/hour1_081806.html>

s.