Interesting People mailing list archives

Pre-paid mobile phones

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 10:24:03 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Michael Kende <Michael.Kende () analysys com>
Date: October 12, 2006 10:06:45 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Pre-paid mobile phones

Last night I bought a pre-paid phone and the sales person asked for my ID, I asked why and he said it was to check that I am old enough to buy a phone- since I am 42, I was a bit dubious about that one, and then he typed my name and information into the system. I asked why and he said it was a requirement. My question for the group is, whose requirement, and why? I kind of thought the whole point of pre- pay was that you can just buy a phone and there was no need for identifying information since there is no credit risk, or directory listing. My colleagues tell me that in some European countries no information is needed, although that may change with new European directives.

Thanks,

Michael

Michael Kende
Principal Consultant
Analysys Consulting

+1 202 331-3080 (main)
+1 202 331-3084 (direct)
+1 202 413-2877 (mobile)

Analysys is the leading consulting and research company advising players in the telecoms, IT and media industries. Latest topics on our Web site include:

Growth opportunities from pay TV could be squandered in the rush to multi-play
UK ISP market alone could generate GBP1.5 billion worth of transactions
Bundles should be at the heart of future mobile service pricing
Recent MVNO subscriber growth poses challenges to MNOs and MVNOs alike
For further information, visit our web sites at www.analysys.com or research.analysys.com. This email is confidential and is protected by copyright. When addressed to our clients it is subject to our terms and conditions of business.