Interesting People mailing list archives

more on more on ICANN ordered by Illinois court to suspend spamhaus.org

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2006 15:52:57 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Synthesis: Law and Technology" <synthesis.law.and.technology () gmail com>
Date: October 7, 2006 2:45:34 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on ICANN ordered by Illinois court to suspend spamhaus.org

Dave,

Lauren wouild do well to read the blog by an Illinois lawyer that Gadi linked to.

whats to stop the judge from ordering the IP as well?

Once a judge's order is being ignored, the people who ignore it do so at their risk. The judge would be perfectly within rights to attempt to order ARIN to do something everytime an IP was used to get around his order. He might be within his rights to order major ISPs to do what they can to block any IP for spamhaus that they find. That bit I'm not clear about. but even if the judge is not within his rights and he may over step a bit in the enforcement of contempt orders who is going to be believed. Are the police going to stop and scratch their heads and quote RFCs to the judge as a reason to not help him in the enforcement of the order? Are ISPs going to piss off a judge by arguing?

With respect, now is a time for restraint in commentary. Lets not give anyone any ideas shall we? We all know the possibilities. Is there any need to speak out loud and make things worse for spamhaus? We have the right to speech, yes. But if exercising our rights cause harm to the people we want to help...