Interesting People mailing list archives

more on David: [Please take a second loom at 'Bush Moves Towards Martial Law'

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 14:42:05 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: L Victor Marks <victor () victormarks com>
Date: October 31, 2006 2:39:40 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on David: [Please take a second loom at 'Bush Moves Towards Martial Law'

Dave,

For IP if you wish:

You know, my BS detector has gone off here:

Wouldn't Leahy and others made large noise about this well before- hand, when it was a bill in Congress?

I mean, instead of talking up Mark Foley, they could have spent time on drawing attention to this "stealth manuver" ?

It just doesn't make sense.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/F?c109:1:./temp/ ~c109QQu61P:e939907: is the portion that people are objecting to.

So here's my opinion: It appears as if Congress and the President have chosen to fix some of the problems that were so apparent in responding to Hurricane Katrina:

The Mayor of New Orleans and Governor of Louisiana were slow to respond to call on the President to dispatch the Guard- so this bill allows that if the state authorities are incapable, the President can inform Congress and employ them himself.

Katrina hit on Aug 29. The Governor of NM authorized the funding for the NM Guard response on Sept. 4th. http://www.governor.state.nm.us/ orders/2005/EO_2005_044.pdf

People were rightfully complaining about the speed of the governmental response, and the Federal government did have to wait for the Louisiana to authorize the Guard.

This bill simply provides for the funding of the National Guard in emergencies and permits the President to inform Congress and then issue them if it is determined that the states cannot do so.

The President still has to inform Congress of his intention, and every 14 days after having done so.

It doesn't remove authority from the state and local police agencies, it places the Guard in a support role to the local law enforcement.

The law requires the President and the Guard to restore civil order and authority as soon as possible.

Now, if the local law enforcement has broken down as to be unable to respond in the crisis and the Guard is invoked, then yes, this is martial law, but martial law should not be confused with "Military Justice." The notion is to restore the courts and local law enforcement as soon as is practicable.

Further, the US Supreme Court ruled in Milligan that "If, in foreign invasion or civil war, the courts are actually closed, and it is impossible to administer criminal justice according to law, then, on the theatre of active military operations, where war really prevails, there is a necessity to furnish a substitute for the civil authority, thus overthrown, to preserve the safety of the army and society; and as no power is left but the military, it is allowed to govern by martial rule until the laws can have their free course. As necessity creates the rule, so it limits its duration; for, if this government is continued after the courts are reinstated, it is a gross usurpation of power. Martial rule can never exist where the courts are open, and in the proper and unobstructed exercise of their jurisdiction. It is also confined to the locality of actual war."

This law complies with that ruling.

There's nothing really objectionable here, and I think we can tell that empirically- Congressmen made no noise about this until after it was done, and instead focused on the distraction, that aberrant Mark Foley.

Victor Marks