Interesting People mailing list archives

who cares re web

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 18:38:35 -0500

"I am no expert here so I don't want to be commenting on this publicly, but what is the big deal here? The major security problem relates to keeping baddies and their weapons off the planes.

The authorities have decided to AUGMENT that crucial protection by limiting the folks who can get access to the boarding areas of the airport to those who are actually flying (unless of course you are an adult m,eeting a minor child, or an employee of a restaurant or store in there, etc). So, everybody goes through the screening to make sure they are not carrying stuff into the boarding areas that could cause a problem when if those materials get onto planes, and the showing here is not that THAT screening is ineffective, but only that there is a way around the means of limiting WHO can come into the boarding areas. But that is the lesser of the problems, no?"