Interesting People mailing list archives

more on New Merit Badge, Brought to you by the letters R, I, A and A

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 15:21:19 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: October 23, 2006 2:49:45 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] more on New Merit Badge, Brought to you by the letters R, I, A and A

Caveat: about 40 years ago I earned the Scout rank of Eagle Scout; the goals of the scout program have always been pretty admirable to me (though their stances against gays and against atheism have always troubled me). I don't remember all of the 20+ merit badges I earned, but I'm pretty sure none of them were focused on presenting one side of a controversial subject with content developed by interested parties on one side of a debate. For example, my First Aid merit badge was not sponsored or designed by Johnson and Johnson, and did not require that I learn J&J's product line of bandages and splints.

What need is met by the creation of this merit badge? Why is there not a merit badge focused on, for example, the skills of musicianship and how to survive and prosper in the music business? The latter would be far more relevant and constructive.

Next there will be a merit badge that requires Scouts to learn Intelligent Design.