Interesting People mailing list archives

more on new habeas law

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 08:28:25 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jonathan Zittrain <z () oii ox ac uk>
Date: October 2, 2006 6:29:50 AM EDT
To: Dan Shoop <shoop () iwiring net>, dave () farber net
Subject: Re: more on new habeas law

I think we're missing the forest for the trees. So long as any category of person doesn't get a form of neutral review for his or her detention, the Executive (whether this administration or a future one) can simply designate anyone to be in *that* category and the designation will stick, since it's unreviewable. That's one reason why those people not covered by Article III of the Geneva Conventions (regarding "lawful" prisoners of war) are thought to be covered by Article IV of the Geneva Conventions.

In that context, why should Congress pass a bill that says that American citizens can be declared unlawful enemy combatants, but that lays out no rights for them at all? This is especially troubling because the administration has maintained that they have zero rights, and I don't share your certainty that the rights of citizens are "already codified" in this circumstance. Read Hamdi and you'll see how confused the Supreme Court was on this score, failing to reach a majority rationale for the outcome of the case. The administration's position on this certainly is material, because while "the law is the law," it is not self-executing. The Executive's unilateral interpretation, in the case of someone detained indefinitely -- perhaps without any notice to the public that the person's disappearance is occasioned by the government seizing him or her -- is difficult to challenge. Padilla is an actual case of an American citizen seized and held on American territory with a claim that no review of any kind is called for. Habeas is designed to facilitate a judicial review of the nature and circumstances of the detention and it's a start, but it's not a trial, and in an open-ended war a detention becomes a life sentence from a crime neither alleged nor proven to a court.

This is what a charge of treason is for. I don't think my view requires lawyers to run around battlefields; we're talking about a deliberative seizure of someone in a civilian airport on US territory with plenty of time to figure out what he's done and what to do with him, apart from the exigencies of bullets flying.