Interesting People mailing list archives

more on IIJ "Improves" their service

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 09:37:35 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Arnt Gulbrandsen <arnt () gulbrandsen priv no>
Date: November 24, 2006 5:16:10 AM EST
To: Rod van Meter <rdv () tera ics keio ac jp>
Cc: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] IIJ "Improves" their service

Hi,

the usual solutions are to use port 587 (see RFC 2476) on a proper mail server, or a VPN connection to your organization's network. The former is easiest, the latter also gives you access to intranet websites and other resources.

A friend of mine who suffers from the opposite problem (port 25 not blocked and most of the ISP's network blacklisted) relays his outbound mail via a rented virtual unix server. In Germany (where I now live) the going rate for those is 5-15 euro/month. Google for xen, linux-vserver, openvz or virtuozzo if you want to consider this option.

(Professor Farber: I expect omeone will answer much more extensively, so you probably don't want to forward this to IP. I'm surprised noone has yet.)

Arnt