Interesting People mailing list archives

another two noter on Alfred Kahn on network neutrality

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 12:19:58 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David S. Isenberg" <isen () isen com>
Date: November 1, 2006 10:35:02 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Alfred Kahn on network neutrality

Dave,

I've written a reply to Alfred Kahn's piece.
I know you agree more with Kahn than with me, but
since you've often used IP as a platform for dissenting
opinions, perhaps you might want to distribute it to
the IP list . . .

My full post is here:
http://isen.com/blog/2006/10/alfred-kahn-on-network-neutrality.html

An excerpt:
Kahn emphatically points out that the FCC stepped in when
Madison River Communications blocked Vonage VOIP service
and says,

>It is unthinkable that the regulatory or antitrust agencies
>would not strike down any other such discrimination by the
>telephone or cable companies against competing providers
>of content in favor of their own.

So what is Kahn's problem with a law prohibiting the
unthinkable? After all, we're a nation of laws, not of humans.
That's the theory, anyhow. I merely observe that the
"unthinkable" of one FCC chairman can become standard
operating procedure to another.

Regards,
David I
-------