Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Letter to Nancy Pelosi on Skill Bill

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 12:27:10 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "W. Craig Trader" <craig () trader name>
Date: November 21, 2006 12:22:15 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: Anthony Watson <atrigueiro () yahoo com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Letter to Nancy Pelosi on Skill Bill

Dave ...

I, too, object to an increase in the H1B visa program, but from a very
different perspective.  Like Anthony Watson, I have been a computer
programmer for over twenty years.  On the other hand, the damage that I
see being done by the H1B visa program is very different.

Currently the H1B program allows a company to bring in temporary tech
workers as below market prices, but it does very little to encourage these
workers to emigrate to our country.  Instead it forces these 'best and
brightest' workers to slave for long hours at under-market wages, for
companies who mistreat them, and who will not assist these workers in
getting green cards (because then the workers could go work for someone
else).  These guest workers will send most of their wages back home, and
when they've slaved as long as allowed, will eventually take all of the
skills that they learned here, back home, where they will proceed to
compete against us.

Instead of increasing the size of the H1B program, we should be slashing
it and increasing the number of green cards available to foreigners, to
encourage them to emigrate to the USA, so as to be a permanent boon to the
US economy, instead of training future competitors.

- Craig -

W. Craig Trader, Software Engineer

Begin forwarded message: