Interesting People mailing list archives

more on H1B visas - About more than money?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 12:46:51 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Anthony Watson <atrigueiro () yahoo com>
Date: November 21, 2006 12:38:38 PM EST
To: "W. Craig Trader" <craig () trader name>
Cc: Anthony Watson <atrigueiro () yahoo com>, dave () farber net
Subject: H1B visas - About more than money?

In my paranoid heart, I cannot stop the whispering voices that the wealthy and powerful are annoyed by how much power "techies" really have.

Would the government and ATT be in court now for their illegal wiretapping without a techie whistleblower. Would an H1B visa holder have blown the whistle? Probably not, he is a foreigner and he knows it. The powers-that-be can control the H1B visa holder for he has not grown up and been educated about the rights of the individual as laid out by our Constitution.

There is at least the possibility that this is about more than money. Dr. Farber and his peers probably have many stories about how the DARPA-net would never have morphed into the Internet without freedom-loving "techies" battling ferociously in the backrooms and boardrooms to make it happen.

Solidarity,
~aw