Interesting People mailing list archives

more on NOT ] Illegal tactics in getting to voters

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 13:34:32 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Seth Breidbart <sethb () panix com>
Date: November 7, 2006 4:45:57 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on NOT ] Illegal tactics in getting to voters

Paul Levy <plevy () citizen org> wrote:

do the FTC's rules apply to purely political speech?  I rather doubt
it, and I doubt that they would be constitutional to the extent that
they did

Content-independent rules are Constitutional.  For instance, amplified
sound trucks are illegal (based on decibel level), it doesn't matter
whether they're advertising political candidates or ice cream.

Likewise, rules about "Don't lie on CLID" and "Caller must release the
line when callee hangs up" (passed when someone died because an
auto-caller held the line and he couldn't call 911) and "Multiple
calls to someone who doesn't want them is harassment" are
Constitutional, because they have nothing to do with the content of
the calls.

Seth