Interesting People mailing list archives

Automated AT&T promotional calls for data backup service

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 14:58:34 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: November 14, 2006 2:10:29 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: lauren () vortex com
Subject: Automated AT&T promotional calls for data backup service

Dave,

It appears that AT&T has now sunk to the level of the slimiest of
telemarketers, and is using an automated system to make promotional
calls for their "remote data backup service" (I won't even begin to
get into the privacy and legal implications of such services here).

Apparently they're so confused that they're making many of these
calls on DSL access lines, regardless of the contact number
specified for those circuits.

At the very end of their obnoxious spiel, you're offered the chance
to push "1" on your phone to be dropped from their call list --
"please allow 30 days to be removed!"

If most people dislike such calls as much as I do (and I believe
that's the case), AT&T is blowing it bigtime.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () vortex com or lauren () pfir org
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR
   - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, IOIC
   - International Open Internet Coalition - http://www.ioic.net
Founder, CIFIP
   - California Initiative For Internet Privacy - http://www.cifip.org
Moderator, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
DayThink: http://daythink.vortex.com