Interesting People mailing list archives

more on We're All Prisoners, Now: US Citizens to be Required ''Clearance'' to Leave USA

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 11:46:32 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Frankston <Bob2-19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: November 9, 2006 11:38:35 AM EST
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: RE: [IP] We're All Prisoners, Now: US Citizens to be Required ''Clearance'' to Leave USA

Sounds like that Iron Curtain that Churchill spoke about. Next we’ll ban people from leaving because they have strategic knowledge?

Along these lines, I wondered why faux ATT (fATT) required I verify that I haven’t changed my location whenever there is a power hiccup – this means that in an emergency I can’t get E911 until I verify everything. It’s a perfect example of using the letter of the law completely thwart the spirit. But that’s bad enough – turns out that fATT says that the FCC mandates that you can’t have VoIP unless you’re in an area that supported E911. Hence you can’t take the phone with you when traveling.

How have we gone from the idea of meddling only when there is a clear and present danger to presuming everything is a clear and present danger? In E911 we have fATT exploiting our fears for to subvert the marketplace but then how different is that from what has been happening at all levels of government.

We’ll see if this changes with the new Congress or is fear so ingrained that those who don’t pander to it will meet their match in fear itself?