Interesting People mailing list archives

more on pre-marked electronic ballots ?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 10:59:16 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Herbert Striner <hstriner () comcast net>
Date: November 8, 2006 10:50:25 AM EST
To: "'David Farber'" <dave () farber net>, "'Ip Ip'" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: RE: pre-marked electronic ballots ?

When I was born in 1922, in Jersey City, the Mayor, "Boss" Frank Hague, had been Mayor for 5 years. When I got out of the Army in 1946, Hague was still
the Mayor.  'Nuff said?  On the other hand, when I last checked out my
source material, Moses was "Boss" of his bunch for a good bit longer.

The problem has never been Process but Cause and Results. Much of what took
place during the Hague Regime was largely the reaction and product of a
predominantly immigrant culture in need of a means of alleviating conditions resulting from the absence of institutionalized mechanisms for helping the hordes of new arrivals in our cities to adapt to a laissez-faire, uncaring society -- one that finally helped to produce the Great Depression. A good
bit different from the motivations and products of our Bush scion's six
year's in office.  These six years marked the development of the most
ingenious mechanisms for circumventing in-place regulations and laws
calculated to guard against purloining from public coffers as well as the
wholesale strategic placement of political "foxes" in our public
institutional "chicken coops."   Like the FCC, FTC, etc. as well as our
federal courts.

This is not meant to rationalize; only to place events & practices in a
cultural context that better permits analysis & a learning process that may
possibly help to promote the goals we say we desire.

Herb Striner