Interesting People mailing list archives

more on various free speech-related riffs {was Re: More on Gingrich speech}

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 09:55:58 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Steve Lamont <spl () ncmir ucsd edu>
Date: November 30, 2006 9:31:49 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: various free speech-related riffs {was Re: [IP] More on Gingrich speech}

For IP if you wish:

6) Speaking of which, the National Science Teachers Association has
TURNED DOWN an offer of 50,000 free copies of "An Inconvenient
Truth". . .

Just for the record, here's NSTA's response to this accusation.

http://www.nsta.org/pressroom&news_story_ID=52959

  NSTA Press Release

  NSTA Statement on November 26 Washington Post Op-ed "Science à la
  Joe Camel"

  Nov 28 2006

  On November 26, the Washington Post printed an opinion piece from
  environmental activist Laurie David, a producer of the film "An
  Inconvenient Truth." In her op-ed Ms. David reports that NSTA
  rejected the opportunity to distribute 50,000 copies of the DVD to
  NSTA members.

  During conversations with Ms. David's representative we suggested
  making the DVD available via alternative means of distribution
  (e.g. by providing a mailing list of our members to producers,
  announcing its availability in our publications, etc.). It appears
  that these alternative distribution mechanisms were unsatisfactory.

  It was not the intent of the NSTA to restrict "An Inconvenient
  Truth" from its members and we are currently pursuing options to
  make the DVD available to teachers.

  In the op-ed Ms. David goes on to characterize NSTA as a willing
  corporate America partner that eagerly pushes corporate messages
  about the environment.

  This is not true.

  The perception created by the op-ed that NSTA has a conflict of
  interest in dealing with corporate America is misleading. This is a
  very serious issue to NSTA and science education. Like many
  organizations, NSTA does receive support from corporate America and
  other organizations (in FY06 total corporate support received by
  NSTA was 16.4% and total support from energy companies was
  3.77%). Before we accept any funds from outside groups (corporate or
  otherwise), and as a condition of any support, we make it clear that
  NSTA is solely responsible for developing, directing, and
  implementing the programs we offer to teachers.

  [MORE]

                                                        spl