Interesting People mailing list archives

My review of the Nokia E61 cell phone

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 12:12:34 -0500

I have had the phone for maybe four months and wanted to give it a good set of tests prior to a report on it.

Bottom line .. one of the best smart cell phones I have used yet.

The E61 is a thinnish phone somewhat the size of the Motorola Q (see photo and specs at http://europe.nokia.com/phones/e61). No camera (I find that an advantage)

It handles a quad GSM bands and WCDMA and Edge. It has a wifi capability. Mostly all one could ask for. The battery life is fantastci. I have yet to drain the battery down with extensive use of email etc.

I run Mail for Exchange on it and the push mail works very very well. There are a set of apps that come with it that are handy and there are a lot f apps out there for the S60 3 software.

I have used it successfully in Europe and JAPAN!!!! on the 3G and GSM networks.

The stability is fine with only very infrequent freezes (compared to MS Mobile software).

All in all a great phone that often replaces my Mac as the unit I travel with.

I use T-Mobile in the USA and their international roaming is reasonably priced (well unreasonable but good compared to others)

Dave