Interesting People mailing list archives

more on New Nationwide Public Emergency Communications Network Launched

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 05:49:58 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: David Josephson <david () josephson com>
Date: May 7, 2006 8:06:01 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, edyson () edventure com
Subject: Re: [IP] New Nationwide Public Emergency Communications Network Launched

Dave, Esther et al

There seem to be dozens of self-proclaimed emergency communications "networks" springing up now. Most people would like to help their communities be prepared for disasters, and if they're radio people, radio is a logical tool to use. Unfortunately most of the new ones are small groups, often the work of one man. The traditional groups have been radio amateur based (RACES, ARES, Red Cross, Salvation Army) and CB based (REACT) and work more or less well depending mostly on one thing: how well they are integrated with the official emergency response agency in their area. A "network" of everyman with an FRS radio on channel 1 would be a great idea, but who has a mandate to maintain order and relay messages where they need to go? If they have established cooperation with local government and worked hard enough to ensure mutual trust, good things can and do happen. Having worked with some of these groups in California for more than 30 years, my experience has been that more often than not these groups big and small get into turf struggles with each other (I call it "treehouse politics") and the "served agencies" who have no time for them. They tend to see the technical problems they can solve before they think about the political issues they need to address first.

Some groups that have a good start are the Amateur Radio Relay League "Amateur Radio Emergency Service" http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/ emergency/ and the FEMA-supported Community Emergency Response Team http://www.citizencorps.gov/programs/cert.shtm ... there is also a good list of active organizations at http://www.nvoad.org/ It's informative to ask new groups what they can offer as standalone organizations, and whether the local emergency services professionals have any place for them (in other words, will they be able to get through the barricades when a disaster happens?)

--
David Josephson

I remember cb radio and channel 9 which ended up with idiots playing music to jam it djf

Begin forwarded message: