Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Google sued over child porn claims

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 6 May 2006 15:06:01 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: May 6, 2006 3:02:43 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: lauren () vortex com
Subject: Re: [IP] Google sued over child porn claims

Dave,

At one time, it looked like P2P/filesharing/piracy issues would be
the primary hook used to attack a broad range of completely legal
Internet applications and services -- perhaps leading to demands
that all content be continually monitored by service providers,
including search engines.  Since such monitoring is impractical, the
only alternative if push comes to shove is various levels of
shutdown.

But now we can see that broadly framed child porn accusations and
related issues represent an even more potent poison pill that could
ultimately and inappropriately bring an array of useful services to
their knees -- to our collective loss -- unless we start introducing
some sense into this debate immediately.

Google is the big target, so they're the first being attacked in
this way.  But if these tactics succeed, we'll see a never ending
array of hobbling and damaging monitoring and data retention demands
that will filter down eventually to ISPs, Web sites, and virtually
all other Internet services.  If we wait for this to become totally
obvious, it may be too late.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () vortex com or lauren () pfir org
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR
   - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, IOIC
   - International Open Internet Coalition - http://www.ioic.net
Moderator, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
DayThink: http://daythink.vortex.com

 - - -

Begin forwarded message: