Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Backer of ISP snooping slams industry

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 18:43:36 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: L Jean Camp <ljean () ljean com>
Date: May 4, 2006 1:29:37 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Backer of ISP snooping slams industry

I am a passionate supporter of the protection of children. This means that I strongly support fully funded child protective services in every state, with reasonable case loads and strong judicial oversight in dedicated courts. I believe that anyone who molests a child should get a life sentence, and not be paroled because the space is needed for a drug user. I support changes in development policies that focus on micro-credit and education, and rejection of the failed "school fee" policies of the past. I cannot be the only person who sees the problem with requirements for sexual predators registration as why are the prisons releasing sexual predators?

I am also an advocate for Internet privacy. There is no conflict.

I could see arguments for many things, like re-examination of entrapment laws so anyone (>18) who thinks they are going to have sex with a 13 year old is treated as the dangerously confused nutcase criminal that they are.

Data retention is meaningless in terms of child protection but important for broad data mining for enemies of the Bush regime. However, in this case I think this is someone is deeply misguided rather than malicious. This rep has a career low rating from the Children's Defense Fund of 82, and regularly supports at 100%. She does have a record of caring about children, according to interest group ratings, as opposed to being some law and order partisan who forgets children's health, education, and nutritional needs but gets weepy at the thought of a child seeing a nekkid person. She basically needs to get educated, not flamed.

regards,
Jean