Interesting People mailing list archives

more on The Economist: How to weave a cloak that makes you invisible

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 14:01:54 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "William S. Duncanson" <caesar () starkreality com>
Date: May 30, 2006 1:54:54 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: btm () templetons com
Subject: RE: [IP] more on The Economist: How to weave a cloak that makes you invisible

It's not really narrow wavelengths, rather, it's a small range of
wavelengths. The metamaterials that they discuss have to be built smaller
than the wavelength of the electromagnetic wave that they're trying do
deflect; for light wavelengths this would be difficult with todays
technologies; longer wavelengths are easier since the size of the particles needed is larger. So it would be feasable to do this with radar, which has
a relatively long wavelength, and would require particles in the (close
order of) centimeter scale, but not necessarily visible light, which would
metamaterials with particles on the nanometer scale.

This is really nothing more than Stealth 3.0...and just because something
works on paper or in the lab just means that the problem moves from the
realm of the scientists to that of the engineers.